In analyzing the searches and seizures from hotel rooms, the court recognized that whileÂ a guest is legally registered in a room, the hotel room is a temporary residence and thus, just like their primary residence, the guest is entitled to the same protections under the Fourth Amendment to their guest rooms in a hotel as they would for their primary residence.
Many municipalities have enacted ordinances that authorize local police agencies to enter a hotel during regular business hours and request an inspection of the guest register to obtain information as to who is in the hotel, when they checked in and their anticipated check out time, how long the guest has stayed in the hotel, manner of payment and private information given by the guest to the desk clerk regarding their home address, car license plate and drivers license information. The municipalities argue that such ordinances and warrantless searches are necessary to help stop prostitution and drugs or to ensure compliance with the length of time requirements for motel guests. Many hotel operators have allowed the police agencies to inspect the guest registers without objection as they did not want to be subject to arrest or citation for not complying with the police requests.
However, some managers have objected and have been convicted of failure to comply with the inspection request. They argue that the police need a warrant to search the hotel registers and further, that the ordinances are not specifically limited to time, scope and duration of the inspection allowed or an opportunity to seek judicial review of the ordinance before being subjected to arrest and conviction for refusing to comply with the police agency’s request.
For more:Â http://bit.ly/1F1pS2t
Even with thicker walls, pathways through which sound escapes can defeat construction. Unsealed recessed electrical outlets are a common example. â€œI know a hotel with walls constructed to STC-60, but they performed at only STC-42 because the outlets werenâ€™t sealed,â€ Battaglia says. â€œYet, the â€˜fixâ€™ was simple. Preformed acoustic seals were installed by the maintenance crew between guests. The results were nothing short of remarkable.â€
Your guestsâ€™ ears never rest, not even when theyâ€™re sleeping. Throughout the night, guests are likely to hear off-and-on HVAC systems, TVs in adjacent rooms, and luggage carts in hallways.
â€œWhen humans were still sleeping in caves, we needed to hear twigs snap when predators approached,â€ explains Jeff Loether, founder of Electro-Media Design, which provides acoustical and audio visual guidance for various hotel flags in the United States and overseas. â€œWhen man moved from caves to hotel rooms, he brought his hearing acuity with him.â€ And while hungry predators are no longer a problem, sounds that go bump in the night are.
For more:Â http://bit.ly/ZpV7UT
“But moving systems to a smartphone or other mobile device thatÂ has built-in computing power that could be used to run algorithms to break that security could ‘open up a big can of worms,’ he said. Although he assumes Hilton and other companies considering this move have taken ‘great care’ to reduce risk, he still worries that the additional attack surface and communication abilities of mobile devices might make them more difficult to secure.”
At least one app for the Apple Watch will allow the wearer to unlock a hotel room with the wave of a wrist. But using mobile devices to provide keyless entry to hotel rooms isn’t a novel concept — and could come with added security risks.
Hotels have been experimenting with mobile apps to unlock hotel rooms for some time. The Starwood Hotel group, which is reportedly working on an Apple Watch app, had been testing a similar feature for smartphone users at least since earlier this year. And in July, Hilton Hotels announced guests would be able to use digital check-in and room selection at more than 4,000 properties around the world by the end of this year.
For more: http://wapo.st/1lYgLda
“…CO is a very real danger, and CO alarms should be in hotel rooms,” says Stephen Thom, a University of Maryland professor of emergency medicine and a CO specialist. “CO incidents happen in every major city regularly, and people only pay attention to the need for CO detectors when there is a tragedy…”
New international building and fire codes that will be published this summer may provide hotel guests less protection from deadly carbon monoxide.
The 2015 codes eliminate a 2012 requirement that required a CO alarm in each guest room or a detection system in all common areas, according to Michael O’Brian, a member of an International Code Council committee that recommended the new codes.
For more:Â http://usat.ly/1jLdVBe
“…The ingredients for meth and their byproducts, including ammonia, hydrochloric acid gas, lithium, sulfuric acid and pseudoephedrine, carry a plethora of possible side effects depending on the length of exposure….The size of most hotel rooms and the self-contained air-handling systems in them work in favor for decontamination crews. Since each room has its own heating and air-conditioning unit, the chances of the vapors getting into the rest of the building are slim…”
Gone are the days when making meth on the go was confined to low-end hotel rooms.Â The drugâ€™s cooks are now finding their ways into hotels that any family might choose for road trips or weekends at various lake communities in the area.
â€œItâ€™s not just happening in low-level hotels or strip hotels. Itâ€™s starting to happen in middle-class hotels,â€ said Joe Clark, operations manager for water and special projects atÂ Protechs, a Fort Wayne company that does meth lab decontamination.
For more:Â http://bit.ly/1pzPNsk
“…(the cord) was stuck under the lamp and wore out after a while…friction likely caused the shorted cord to ignite, and sparks caused the carpet to catch on fire, which then spread to a couch and the wall…”
Starkville Fire Department officials confirmed the cause of a fire Thursday that destroyed the interior of a hotel room at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites on Miss. Highway 12 as electrical. SFD Training Officer Charles Yarbrough said he concluded in his investigation that the fire was started by a short in a lamp cord.
On Thursday, a shift manager at the hotel saidÂ she called 911 after a customer came into the lobby and said he saw smoke emitting from the back of the building. The manager, who refused to be identified, said neither the room where the fire took place nor any nearby rooms were occupied at the time the smoke was first reported and there was no one in the vicinity of the fire.
Yarbrough said everything in the room, from the furnishings to the walls would have to be replaced, but said the hotelâ€™s structural integrity was satisfactory as the rooms were designed to contain and isolate fires.
For more:Â http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/node/13339