“… an independent contractor was in the basement of the parking garage building a new restaurant when a welding torch malfunctioned, causing the small fire…”
“…Boston fire say they discovered that some of the exhaust fans were not working and gave the hotel until the end of the day to fix them or risk being shut down. Fire officials also said it appeared a standpipe was leaking and it had to be fixed…”
A major Boston hotel has addressed some safety concerns after they were discovered while crews battled a small parking garage fire on Monday. The fire broke out in Level 1 of the Westin Hotel garage just after 10 a.m. Monday, according to Boston fire. The fire started on a control knob of a 3-foot high acetylene tank, and fire crews doused the tank to keep it cool, according to Boston fire.
Boston fire’s Steve MacDonald said the contractor had the proper permits for the torches, but they will be amended to include a fire watch any time welding is taking place at the site.
Jorgensen said the exhaust fans have been fixed. Water that was believed to be leaking from a standpipe was actually from the fire department’s hoses, Jorgensen said.