“…Companies are vacuuming up data to make better decisions about everything from product development andÂ advertisingÂ toÂ hiring. In theirÂ 2012 feature on big data, Andrew McAfee and Erik Brynjolfsson describe the opportunity and report that â€œcompanies in the top third of their industry in the use of data-driven decision making were, on average, 5% more productive and 6% more profitable than their competitorsâ€ even after accounting for several confounding factors…”
Not a week goes by without us publishing something here at HBR about the value of data in business. Big data, small data, internal, external, experimental, observational â€” everywhere we look, information is being captured, quantified, and used to make business decisions.
Not everyone needs to become a quant. But it is worth brushing up on the basics of quantitative analysis, so as to understand and improve the use of data in your business. Weâ€™ve created a reading list of the best HBR articles on the subject to get you started.
For more:Â http://bit.ly/1kcQXa5
“…Hotels should exercise caution before taking random leaps into the world of modern gadgetry. The first consideration must be the customer. Some people may find apps that know what movie theyâ€™re watching, where theyâ€™re going or whether theyâ€™re sleeping to be creepy. Other guests might not like the sight of a lobby full of high-tech devices…”
AtÂ Hotel 1000Â in downtown Seattle, guests who want to sleep late donâ€™t have to hang a â€œDo Not Disturbâ€ sign on their doorknobs. Each of the hotelâ€™s rooms contains an infrared sensor that detects body heat and displays the results to the housekeeping staff on a door panel (unless the guest doesnâ€™t want it to). If the sensor shows someone is in the room, the cleaners skip it and move on.
For more:Â http://onforb.es/ShWu45
“…The mother and son, in town to pick up Jeffrey’s sister from a science camp,Â did not know that only two months earlier an elderly couple died in the same room after being overcome by carbon monoxide gas…Mrs Williams also hopes that in sharing her tragic story, she would raise awareness of the silent, odorless and colorless killer that has robbed her of her son…”
The North Carolina mother whose 11-year-old son was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning has started a foundation to raise awareness of the lethal, odorless, colorless gas.
Jeannie Williams nearly died from a carbon monoxide leak in a hotel that claimed the life of her son Jeffrey Williams, and now she’s made it her life’s mission to make people aware of the killer.
For more:Â http://dailym.ai/1pxZMf3
“…The one-count lawsuit claims the hotel negligently and carelessly failed to provide guests with safe and sanitary rooms; failed to take steps, including inspections and extermination, to keep its premises clean and free of infestations; and, among other things, failed to train staff appropriately to recognize signs of bed bugs…”
A woman suffered from bed bug bites after she stayed at a hotel in Calumet Park, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday.
Bridget Flowers rented a hotel room Feb. 14 at the Magnuson Hotel, 12800 S. Ashland Ave., and slept on the bed and used the sheets that the hotel provided, according to the lawsuit filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Court.
For more:Â http://bit.ly/1gWJaOj
“…When police arrived at Gomezâ€™s hotel room, they found evidence of that after party, including what police referred to as ‘an indication ofÂ alcohol.’ Investigators are also looking into the possibility that prescription painkillers may have been involved…Another teen guest staying at the Hyatt Friday night said he could hear partying going on all night in Gomezâ€™s room. ‘We knocked on the door to see if anything was going on, but they didn’t answer,’ he said…”
On May 18, homicide police in northÂ HoustonÂ are still investigating the death of a high school senior found dead in a Hyatt Hotel room yesterday morning following her MacArthur High School prom.
The deceased has been identified as 17-year-old Jacqueline Gomez, a senior at MacArthur High, according toÂ ABC News. Gomez has been described by other news outlets as being 18.
For more:Â http://exm.nr/1jn8ufg
“…When working with contractors, make sure to check references and ensure that the company has the proper permits before starting construction on a project, says Stephen Barth, the founder of HospitalityLawyer.com and professor of hotel law at the University of Houston…New requirements from the International Code Council (ICC) for the International Building Code and the International Fire Code state that carbon monoxide alarms should be installed in any location that includes a device that could potentially produce carbon monoxide…”
Last spring, three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning after staying at the Blue Ridge Plaza Best Western Hotel in Boone, N.C. The victimsâ€”elderly couple Daryl and Shirley Jenkins and 11-year-old Jeffrey Williamsâ€”visited the property seven weeks apart and all stayed in room 225.
Though the initial investigation following the Jenkinsâ€™ deaths was inconclusive, toxicology reports eventually revealed that the deadly gas was to blame for the tragedies. The pool heaterâ€™s exhaust pipe, which ran directly under room 225, was the source of the lethal leak.
For more:Â http://bit.ly/1khYBQb
“…Marriott Hotels, for instance,offers mobile check-in for select members who can check in via the mobile app and collect their key card from a designated mobile check-in desk. ‘This technology will change the guest arrival experience and streamline the entire check-in process,’ said Prasad Iyer, head-cluster e-commerce, Indian subcontinent and Maldives atÂ MarriottÂ Hotels…”
Come 2015, guests arriving at theÂ AloftÂ andÂ W HotelsÂ will be able to bypass the traditional check-in desk and enter their rooms using their smartphone as the room key.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts, which owns the two boutique brands, is working on collaboration with locking and security solutions provider Assa Abloy to develop keyless checkin technology that will allow the guests to check in and out of their rooms using their mobile phones.
For more:Â http://bit.ly/1n4iwRN