“…Health Department inspectors found deficiencies at the Best Westernâ€™s indoor swimming pool earlier this year…the bottom-floor pool is below the second-floor room where the deaths occurred. Room 225 is directly above a room with a natural gas heater for the pool, police said…a March 6 inspection showed the poolâ€™s pump was not approved by an industry standards group. The report also found the poolâ€™s chemical and equipment room needed better ventilation…”
Police on Monday said elevated carbon monoxide levels were found in a hotel room where an 11-year-old boy died over the weekend, two months after the poisonous gas killed an elderly couple in the same room. Authorities said an autopsy of Jeffrey Lee Williams of Rock Hill indicated he died from asphyxia, though blood tests were not complete. Jeffrey was found Saturday in a room at Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza, where he was staying with his mother, Jeannie Williams.
Williams, 49, remained hospitalized Monday at Watauga Medical Center. At a Monday news conference, Boone police Sgt. Shane Robbins said newly obtained blood test results show carbon monoxide killed Daryl Dean Jenkins, 73, and Shirley Mae Jenkins, 72, both of Longview, Wash. They were found April 16, also in Room 225.
The revelations raised new questions about the death investigations, including why blood test results in the Jenkinsâ€™ deaths took two months to complete.
A spokesman for the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the stateâ€™s medical examinerâ€™s office, refused to release death reports in the three cases, saying they were incomplete.
The Observer requested an interview with N.C. Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Deborah Radisch, but spokesman Ricky Diaz said she would not be available.
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/10/4097181/report-carbon-monoxide-found-at.html#storylink=cpy