“…Health officials tied the outbreak to the main fountain inÂ the hotel lobby. The plaintiffÂ …alleges theÂ hotel didn’t properly maintain the fountain and said the company neglected toÂ prevent visitors from walking near the fountain when the hotel should have knownÂ about the bacteria…”
The family of a Florida man who died after catchingÂ Legionnaireâ€™s disease at a Loop hotel has filed a wrongful death suit againstÂ Marriott International. Luis Enrique Acevedo Muro was one of three people who diedÂ after being exposed to Legionella bacteria at the JW Marriott Chicago Hotel, atÂ 151 W. Adams St., according to the lawsuit and public health officials.
Acevedo Muro, of Key Biscayne, Fla., contracted Legionnaireâ€™sÂ disease afterÂ staying at the hotel from Aug. 1 to Aug. 3, the suit claims. HeÂ died Aug. 14.
The eight-count suit, filed Wednesday in Cook County CircuitÂ Court,Â claims wrongful death and survival action against Marriott andÂ Â Chicago-based developer The Prime Group, Inc.Â It seeks an unspecifiedÂ amount inÂ damages. Neither company could be reached for comment Wednesday evening.
Legionnairesâ€™ disease is contracted by breathing in mist orÂ vapors from water contaminated with the Legionella bacteria and usually developsÂ two to 14 days after exposure. It frequently begins with headache, high feverÂ and chills, and progresses by the second or third day to include a cough, chestÂ pain and shortness of breath.